Thursday, December 3, 2009

December Already

Dear Family,
I can´t believe it´s already December. I´ve bee here for a month. Wow. I´m
freaking out here. It´s December and it´s not cool outside. This going to
take some getting used to.
This has been a great week. My favorite part, by far, was proselyting. Last
Saturday was our first time going out for seven hours. That was our only
time going to that area. The next three times we go, we will be in the same
area. Anyways, there were only fourteen of us, all of the North Americans.
The new Latinos didn´t go because they didn´t know how to teach yet. We left
at ten. They drove us about a half hour away. We all got out and went our
ways. Elder Marchant and I were lucky because the drop off point was in our
area so we didn´t have to walk to get to our area. It was nice. So we walked
down the street and saw three guys sitting under a tree and decided to talk
to them. One of them wasn´t interested at all, one was a little interested,
and the last one was very interested. We gave him a Book of Mormon and got
his address and phone number. We told him we would send other missionaries
to him. That was a great way to start the day. After that we walked down a
street and stopped a guy who was doing some yard work. HIs last name was
Gustavo Paz. We talked to him for a few minutes and then gave him a folleto.
We got his information also and said we would send missionaries to him. I
wish we could have been in that area for more than week so we could have
taught those people. Oh well, as long as they get taught. We kept talking to
people for a couple of hours. We were handing folletos like they were candy.
It made up for the two previous weeks when we didn´t hand out very many. It
was great. After a couple of hours we were walking around trying to figure
out where we were. I don´t like how the streets are laid out here. It´s
pretty confusing plus they don´t have street names. They paint the street
names on the side of buildings. It´s so weird and annoying. Anyways we were
walking down a street and this huge dog started barking at us and coming
closer towards us. Normally I wouldn´t be nervous but the dogs here in
Argentina are crazy and this particular one was huge. Luckily this guy came
out and got rid of the dog. We walked over to him and I started talking to
him in Spanish of course. His name was Mario. He stopped me and said he
spoke English. That was awesome. We were able to say what we wanted to say
to him and actually express ourselves. He was very receptive. We got his
information also and told him that we would also send the missionaries to
him. Anyways, I think those are enough proselyting stories for now. I can´t
wait to go out this Saturday.
My Spanish is continually getting better. We had another English
fast yesterday. It was alot better than last week. I was able to say more.
That was nice. We have been practicing Lesson 2 this week. All the
companionships in my district can teach it pretty good. One of our teachers,
Hermana Davila, pushes us really hard. She is helping us to be good
teachers. She is really good at it. If she thinks we´re not teaching good
then she´ll tell us. She´s not afraid to say what she thinks. I´m glad she´s
our teacher because she helps us so much. So. all in all, the Spanish is
coming along.
I can´t wait to hear about the ward party. It sounds like it´s going
to be fun. It´s defenitely original. I´ve never heard of a ward doing that
before. Be sure to tell me all about it. I´m looking forward to it.
To answer your question Valerie, Christmas isn´t very important
here. The only decoration is a stuffed snowman in the cafeteria. It´s kind
of depressing. We sing Chrisrmas songs every day in class but that´s all we
do. We´ve been told that we´re going to be doing some stuff on Christmas but
we don´t know what yet. So, we´ll see how that goes.
Well I guess that about it for this week. Thanks for the package
mom. The ties were awesome. They are a big hit. The candy was also great.
It´s nice to have some American food. I´m saving that candy for a while. I
finally got my clip on name tag. That was nice to have. I now have four name
tags. They gave us a pocket one the day we got here but I don´t like it.
That´s why I said I only have one. Anyways, thanks for everything. Keep the
letters coming. I love letters. Talk to you all next week.

Love,
Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment